According to the Article 3 of the TEU (amended by the Lisbon Treaty) Union’s objectives are as follows:
- Promotion of peace, its values and the well-being of its people.
- Offering its citizens an area of freedom, security and justice without internal frontiers, in which the free movement of persons is ensured.
- Establishing an internal market that shall work for the sustainable development of Europe based on balanced economic growth and price stability, a highly competitive social market economy, aiming at full employment and social progress, and a high level of protection and improvement of the quality of the environment. It shall promote scientific and technological advance, combat social exclusion and discrimination, and shall promote social justice and protection, equality between women and men, solidarity between generations and protection of the rights of the child. It shall promote economic, social and territorial cohesion, and solidarity among Member States, respecting its rich cultural and linguistic diversity, and shall ensure that Europe’s cultural heritage is safeguarded and enhanced.
- Establishing an economic and monetary Union whose currency is the euro.
- In its relations with the wider world, the Union shall uphold and promote its values and interests and contribute to the protection of its citizens. It shall contribute to peace, security, the sustainable development of the Earth, solidarity and mutual respect among peoples, free and fair trade, eradication of poverty and the protection of human rights, in particular the rights of the child, as well as to the strict observance and the development of international law, including respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter.
The same Article prescribes that The Union shall pursue its objectives by appropriate means commensurate with the competences which are conferred upon it in the Treaties.